** IMPORANT NOTICE - NEW ORDERS WILL SHIP 24/06 **
A new approach to bring low cost antenna tracking to standard analogue flight controllers used for iNav and Betaflight without the need for any additional hardware on the aircraft for most flight controllers.
It also supports all other FC’s that use minim hardware with MWOSD 2.0 and also many others with addition of a video telemetry module.
We have been flying with this tracking method for a couple of years as a side project and the design has now evolved to the point of exceeding the performance of other commercial trackers we were using so have decided to release it as a kit for those who are interested and also have access to 3D printing facilities.
*** This is a DIY kit only - you will need to provide your own 3D printed case ***
- Low cost DIY antenna tracker
- No extra hardware usually required each aircraft
- Does not require bluetooth or wifi modules on RC transmitter
- Simple and reliable tracking
- Ultra-fast position updating – up to 30 hz
Full release GPS enabled flight control systems supported:
- iNav – all max7456 compatible FC running 3.0 onwards
- Ardupilot / PX4 /KISS / MULTIWII and other FC using external minim OSD running MWOSD 2.0
- GPS standalone OSD using MWOSD 2.0 on minim hardware
Other supported systems:
- iNav – earlier versions with modified releases
- Betaflight – versions with modified releases
- All other GPS enabled OSD / FC can be supported with use of micro minim osd acting as a telemetry module
Works with standard FC boards running 7456 OSD IC and running supported iNav or Betaflight versions:
- FC only requires updated firmware to support tracking
- No additional hardware required
Does not require Bluetooth / Wifi modules or adapters:
- Not impacted by 2.4G RC tx
- Not impacted by 2.4G Video tx
- Does not impact 2.4G RC rx.
Does not typically require modules on each aircraft:
- Significant cost saving. No additional expense for adding extra aircraft
- No additional weight
- Reduces wiring, complexity and failure points
Does not require telemetry feed from aircraft via RC transmitter:
- RC telemetry not required - supports all RC TX links. No limitations
Supports all RC TX:
- Supports all RC TX. Not limited to OpenTX etc
- Supports all RC link types. Not limited to specific RC TX modules such as Crossfire etc
Fast position tracking updates:
- Tracking data update refresh rates of 25-30hz
- Design optimised for maximum performance with poor signal quality
- Fully embedded GUI for configuring
- No additional hardware or software required
- Configure the AAT from PC or mobile device browser
- OTA - Over The Air software updates
- Wifi auto disables in flight for full compatibility with 2.4G video users
- Potential for future WiFi driven tracking development if required
- Low battery physical alarm
- Loss of telemetry alarm
- Two independent video outputs – one RCA, one 4 pole Fatshark compatible
- OLED support to view battery voltage etc.
- Single channel audio output via Fatshark compatible connector
- Battery out for monitor etc.
- Status LED
- Everything necessary to connect to FPV goggles except Battery, RX and antenna
- Tracker PCB
- Components to complete PCB – connectors, LED, OLED, buzzer etc.
- Fixings to assemble 3D parts - bearings, screws, bolts etc.
- Video output cable – suitable for Fatshark 4 pole goggles
- XT60 power cables
- Servo cables for RX etc.
3D print components
- Easy print design
- STL files available for download
- Source files available
- Generated in FREE Google SketchUp for free and easy modifications
So why another tracker?
We have been using various antenna trackers for over 10 years – audio , video and via TX telemetry. Audio and video trackers have performed well, but the on board hardware get expensive for large fleets and price becomes a factor. With recent developments, trackers using telemetry via TX and Bluetooth have become a reality.
Initially the RC telemetry seemed the perfect solution, but we were disappointed with the reliability. The loss of tracking from dropped connections and flying with others using 2.4G for video or RC control became both frustrating and unacceptable.
We had an idea of a solution for standard FC that could address both these issues and put together a proof of concept design for testing. This far exceeded our expectations and after flying with it for a couple of years we have decided to release it as a kit for the FPV community.
- Let’s be open – there are the downsides to every solution. Here are the key ones for this :
- Tracking data sent in first line of video signal – not usually displayed in Goggles or on FPV monitor
- Tracking data may be recorded by some DVR
- The first row of OSD display becomes unavailable for OSD. However, this row is not usually fully visible
- This does not use tracker GPS location – so cannot be used in a moving vehicle
- Not currently released as a continuous rotation unit
- Not currently available as a fully assembled unit
- Requires supply of your own 3D printed case
Assembly manual – https://github.com/aat-sentinel/Documentation/blob/main/README.md
iNav software repository – https://github.com/aat-sentinel/FC-iNav
Betaflight software repository – https://github.com/aat-sentinel/FC-Betaflight
STL and source CAD files repository – https://github.com/aat-sentinel/AAT-lite-hardware
Video describing the AAT:
Video showing assembly of the kit:
Video showing a Sentinel AAT in operation:
Video showing an example flight from one of the testers:
Available to purchase:
VirtualPilot Sentinel Antenna Tracker kit
- Product Code: VPAATKITV1
- Availability: 2-3 Days
- Ex Tax: £70.00